Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Back to oils for the love of family!


Punctatum  24" x 36" Oil on Gallery Wrapped Canvas
A few months ago, my husband's cousin wrote and asked if I could do a painting for his wife.  She wanted a painting of Punctatum (aka wild azalea) for their foyer.  She preferred oil and wanted it to be a generous size, 24" x 36".  I've worked in a few different mediums, primarily watercolor and acrylic and have played around in oils a bit as well but it's not exactly my comfort zone.  

However... this is about the sweetest couple you could ever meet and I'd try about anything for them!  So I did it!

Although the blooms have a fragile appearance, she wanted some pop.  I studied a few photos and decided to feature one full bloom against a dark background.  I am my harshest critic so I continue to pick it apart but overall, I'm pleased. It actually motivated me to try some others in oils in the future.

NOW... I want to do this same subject using brilliant watercolors and see how that turns out!  That way, they can take their pick!

Until next time!

Lori