Sunday, February 26, 2012

An impromptu painting class with a new friend!

One of the greatest benefits of my creative outlets would have to be all the great people I meet who have similar interest!  This weekend I enjoyed a great Saturday afternoon with my new friend, Shannon!  She had seen my work online and asked me to paint a couple pieces for her.  
Before and After 
She had also mentioned wanting to learn how to paint so when she dropped them off, I told her she was welcome to have a one-on-one class if she wanted to stay.  Her very sweet husband took the kids and kept them occupied for three hours while we played worked.  Now THAT, my friends, is the sign of a "keeper!"

She initially said she wanted it a solid yellow.  She had a super cute pillow with yellow, turquoise, pink, and green and wanted to match the yellow.  I had a turquoise primer so she decided to use that as a base coat and let a little show through.  We switched out the knobs for crystal knobs and painted the un-exposed parts of the drawer with the turquoise for a fun pop of color when you open it. It turned out very cute! 

She also had a bookcase.  It was stained but had a slightly rough finish.  That makes for a great base for painting and distressing but required a little sanding.  Not my favorite part of the process. (A reason I love Annie Sloan Chalk Paint!)
Before and After  Bookcase
We went with Sherwin Williams "Silvermist" for the bookcase.  It's one of my favorites!!!  A beautiful light blue gray with a touch of green.  She wanted a little white to show through so we sprayed the edges with a light coat of white primer and it worked perfectly!  We finished it off with and oil and beeswax finish.  Love it!  I hope Shannon enjoys it!

Thanks for stopping by!!
Lori

No comments: